Professional movers can step in and help in such situations, by planning the move from packing your things and transporting them, to unpacking at the final destination and even setting them up. But picking the right company is not always easy. And it pays to be careful since you will probably be moving expensive and treasured items like antique clocks, stylish furniture, chandeliers, paintings, musical instruments, cars or even boats.
Without the help of reliable professionals, your moving plan could be a disaster and you might end up losing important goods or facing delays. So, though it is natural to be excited about moving to beautiful Spain with its rich culture, the following tips should be kept in mind.
Services to expect from professionals
To help you choose a good removals company, first check if they offer these services:
- For removals to Spain, part loads, full loads and even single items should be included. This way, you won’t have to pay more if you have less items to move.
- English speaking staff are an advantage, since you may not have learned Spanish yet. The staff should explain to you how they plan to pack your belongings and what kind of truck or van they plan to use.
- The company should have secure and well-maintained storage facilities where you can store your goods for a while, in case you plan to reach your destination some time after the goods are transported.
- Find out what kind of packing materials are to be used and if there is any insurance available against any damage to your goods during transit. If you are moving some oddly shaped furniture, fragile crockery etc ask what special packaging they are going to use.
- Ask about the areas in Spain that the removal company covers and make sure that your destination is one of them. Usually, reputable removal companies offer services in Madrid, Andalusia, Catalonia, Valencia, Murcia, Canary Islands and Balearic Islands.
Things you can do to help
If you are planning to rent a truck or van and move to Spain by yourself, then naturally, you must take care of everything yourself. But even if you are hiring expert help, here are things that you can do to make their task easier:
- Make a list of things you wish to move and don’t change it at the last moment.
- Request the removal company to pack things from different rooms separately, so that it becomes easy to unpack. Use different color coded labels to indicate which box contains what, or ask them to do this for you.
- Carry small valuables like watches and jewelry with you when you are moving. Also pack an overnight bag with a change of clothes, medicines and toiletries you will need.
- Ensure that electronics are packed separately along with their accessories and cables and include manuals and guides if they are available.
Your responsibilities after reaching Spain
Once all your goods arrive at your new location in Spain, check the following:
- Make sure you have received everything and match the goods with the list you made before the move.
- Guide the removal company to put things in the relevant rooms and dispose of the packing materials responsibly.
- Share the plan or layout of your new home or office with the removal company if you want them to reassemble furniture.
- Check all goods for damages and report any damage there and then for a quick resolution.
Tips to keep costs low
Removals to Spain vary in price, depending on your location, destination, the amount or weight of goods, kind of goods, and any extra services you need. But to help you budget, you can:
- Pack things like clothes, books, toiletries, toys and small gadgets on your own.
- Use old containers or boxes that are still in good shape.
- Move in the off-season since removal rates will be a little lower.
With a little smartness and foresight, your move to Spain can be a very comfortable and stress-free affair.